I don’t know how many “what’s in my hospital bag” videos I have watched on YouTube. Way too many to count between this pregnancy and when I was pregnant with Jaxon, that’s for sure.
As I started to make a list this time around, I noticed that I couldn’t find anywhere about what you would need if you know your baby is going to be in the NICU. So, I decided to put together a list of things I needed during Deckards NICU stay and I hope this can help some of you future or current NICU momma’s out there!
To start, I packed the basic things I needed, almost as if I was having a normal birth. Toiletries, a couple changes of clothes, things like that. This list is going to be focused a little more on what your baby will need/want during their NICU stay.
• Side snap/button footless onesies – You’ll want these so that wires can easily hang out of the bottom of the onesie and you don’t want anything you’ll have to pull over their head or torso if they’re having to have surgery
• Hats and mittens – If your baby can’t wear clothes for a while, this is nice way to give them a little something so they aren’t completely naked the whole time they’re recovering and the mittens will keep them from scratching their face. We ordered ours from a small shop called LouLou and Co. It was started by a NICU nurse so it has a special place in my heart.
• Swaddle blankets – You’ll want stretchy swaddles in specific. You can’t properly swaddle your little one with all their tubes and wires, so a stretchy swaddle you can’t knot at their feet leaving the wires hanging out is a must. Audrey’s Bear swaddles from Etsy are AMAZING. They have a Swaddle4Swaddle program. For every blanket that is bought another gets donated to NICU babies! How amazing is that?!
• A lovey – I ordered lovey blankets for Deckard from Saranoni. These are THE softest blankets and they are the perfect size for your baby. He’s 5 months old now and still falls asleep with one of them! It’s nice for your baby to have something from home to cuddle with when you can’t be there.
• Mama’s scent – I’m sure you may have heard this already, but a moms scent is obviously extremely comforting to their baby, so a shirt or anything that smells like you is essential.
• A pacifier – If you’re a mom who plans on using one I would have one packed. We used the natursutten brand with both of our boys. It’s made with breastfed babies in mind. So if you’re planning on breastfeeding after your NICU stay, these are the ones to choose!
As for the basic stuff like diapers, wipes, and pump parts, the NICU should provide all of those things for you. I will have everything I listed linked below for you guys if you want to see what we got or if you would like to support any of the small shops or the Swaddle4Swaddle program!
I hope this list helped some of you NICU mommas out there and makes the upcoming journey a little bit easier for you. Feel free to share this list if you found it helpful!
Side snap onesies: http://www.spearmintlove.com/organic-kimono-bodysuit-maple/
LouLou&Co hats and mittens:https://www.loulouandcompany.com/collections/newborn-essential-bundles